Sunday, March 27, 2011

Violence vs nonviolence

So, I'm going to use this post to hash out some of my views regarding wars and the use of force. This might require more than one post, or I may not even express all my thoughts. I've just been thinking about it more now because of the US government's bombing of Libya (which I won't be discussing in particular).

Jesus never condoned acts of violence in the New Testament. He set the example of peace and loving one's enemies. God has not commanded His people (Gentiles now included) to harm anyone else under the New Covenant; in fact, He has commanded the opposite: to be patient, loving, kindhearted, praying for those who abuse you, and blessing those who curse you. Where the Israelites would have stoned to death someone who was living in sin (especially sexual sin) among their congregation, the New Testament believers are commanded to rather cast the person out of fellowship. Just like the sacrificial system, I believe the switch to the New Covenant signaled switch from these physical acts of violence to actions which denote more spiritual consequences. As a follower of Christ (although a poor one at that), I do not feel that violence is an acceptable avenue in dealing with problems, whatever that may mean.

I could say more, but that is all for now.

Peace.

1 comment:

korey said...

dude yes, i was reading about this in 1 corinthians today! 3-6 dude, backs up everything you said!