Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Detroit

North I-75. Factories, industrial wasteland. Morning rush hour traffic. The sleep my body begs for is being kept at bay by a few sips of coffee from forty minutes ago.

Why am I driving? Friends, of course.

Seriously though, why am I awake right now? I'm driving through the city, I should be asleep, my back hurts...

The highway beneath me vaults upward. Is this a bridge? What am I driving over?

I summit the highway peak and look out over the cement valley.
The Detroit skyline. The bridge to Canada. The sun half-shining through a slit in the clouds above the city. The traffic rushes around me as the unexpectedly beautiful scene floats unmoving in my front windshield.

The natural beauty of God's creation shines in the sky above, and the beauty of God's creativity shines through the ingenuity of man. Beauty is everywhere.

Maybe I just need more sleep. My back hurts.

The picture is burned into my memory, though.

Peace.

No comments: