Thursday, September 3, 2015

New Home

"You really love your job, don't you?"

My roommates caught me landscaping our front yard after I got of work today. I'm trying to clean things up around the outside of our house, maybe get some native flowers growing on top of the retaining walls by the stairs.

But yeah, I do love my job as a grounds worker here at Glorieta Camps. This is the sort of work I like: working outside all day with my hands. Even on the hard days (like today, when we were chipping branches all day), I would take this over just about anything else.

People here ask me often how I like working here, and I find myself giving them more and more positive answers every time I hear the question.

I am so happy here!

Seriously, let me tell you some of the reasons why. First, I've been actively trying to move out West from Michigan for several years now (as many of my friends there know), and it's been a lifelong dream of mine to live near the mountains. Second, my work situation here is fantastic. I have my first salary, free housing, a job I love, great supervisors, and it's stable.

That's the key right there. I haven't felt real stability in my life in sooo long. I'll get a job I love, but it's a temporary position; maybe I'll get a job I really don't like and I'll be looking for different work; maybe I'll get a good, stable job, but I know I won't be living in the area for long. It was often some combination of those. Now I feel like I can finally sit down and rest in life. I don't need to run around looking for jobs or try to figure out how I'm going to move somewhere else. It's a great feeling.

Another reason I'm happy: I finally live in a place where I can do the things I love. We are surrounded by mountains, close to national forests and wilderness areas, and not very close to any big city. There's great hiking and camping both on camp property and just off it. Rock climbing and mountaineering abound. It's almost like a dream to me.

Sometimes I feel like I'm overwhelming people when they ask how I like it, but I feel overwhelmed myself. I don't know if I'll be at Glorieta Camps for life, or for more than a few years. I don't necessarily feel like this is "it" for me. It's just...everything seems to finally be going right for a change, and I haven't felt this way in a very, very long time.

That's why I'm so happy.

Peace.

No comments: