Monday, February 7, 2011

Joy in Suffering

So, first I would like to share a selection from the devotional "My Utmost For His Highest" by Oswald Chambers:

"Anything that has even a hint of dejection spiritually is always wrong. If I am depressed or burdened, I am to blame, not God or anyone else. Dejection stems from one of two sources— I have either satisfied a lust or I have not had it satisfied. In either case, dejection is the result. Lust means “I must have it at once.” Spiritual lust causes me to demand an answer from God, instead of seeking God Himself who gives the answer. What have I been hoping or trusting God would do? Is today “the third day” and He has still not done what I expected? Am I therefore justified in being dejected and in blaming God? Whenever we insist that God should give us an answer to prayer we are off track. The purpose of prayer is that we get ahold of God, not of the answer. It is impossible to be well physically and to be dejected, because dejection is a sign of sickness. This is also true spiritually. Dejection spiritually is wrong, and we are always to blame for it."

I've been thinking about joy in suffering lately. I've realized that I can't really think of anyone off-hand who I personally know that I have seen be joyful in hard times, whatever they may be. What I very OFTEN see is people who are joyful because things are going well and God is doing great things in their life, or people who are depressed because they are going through a spiritually "dry" time or because of hard times. I almost NEVER see Christians rejoicing in suffering, like Paul is so often in his letter and exhorts us to. If hard times come, what I most often see is people moping around: "Yeah, times are hard...but God is good, right? I'm just getting through it." What a weak answer from people who are called to rejoice in suffering! I know I do this a LOT too, so I'm not immune to my own criticism. We should be joyful knowing that God is working in us in every circumstance.

Thoughts, anyone?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What's more common is rejoicing in our past suffering. I can look back at what I've been through and see God every step of the way. In this I can rejoice, because through those trials God was sanctifying me. However, as you say, we should rejoice while we're in the trial, not just after. That's the hard part. I haven't done that well. James 1:5 simply tells us to ask God for wisdom for finding joy in trials. Could it be so easy and yet so hard at the same time?