Monday, February 14, 2011

That day of the year...

So, it's kind of funny: when I was single, I didn't really resent Valentine's Day. The people who hate it always disgusted me more.

I love rejoicing with my brothers and sisters when they start a relationship. I don't think there's enough of this. I would like to remind everyone that your job is not to be depressed about others being in a relationship; it's to encourage your brothers and sisters daily. When I was pursuing a relationship, my friends would be interested and would encourage me in it. When that relationship actually began, some of the FIRST comments I received were to the effect of "Oh, now you're one of them." Instant separation, even from people whom I greatly respect. I've tried to avoid doing this to my friends in the past, and I'm sorry if I ever spoke negatively of anyone in one of these times.

I also understand the need to encourage people who are single to be content and rejoice in giving even MORE of themselves to following God. However, when divorce rates among Christians are in some cases HIGHER than divorce rates of non-Christians, I wish I would see more encouragement for people in relationships.

Finally, this is not a call for pity upon myself. Go encourage someone who needs/deserves it, and I'll do the same.

Peace.

1 comment:

Kris Locker said...

thanks for writing this. i totally agree about encouraging those who are in relationships. I think most singles are so self obsessed they cannot think about the joy their friends have. I didn't know you were in a relationship which shows how often we talk. I will continue for your relationship and for what God will use your relationship to show HIS glory and faithfulness.