Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Saving

So, as I mentioned briefly in a previous post, I need to start saving money better. This is becoming more real to me each day now, it seems. I haven't been living frivolously, but I have been fairly liberal with my spending when it comes to, say, picking up the tab. For example: my usual way of convincing someone to go to Applebee's is telling them their appetiser will be free, hehe. I also have been traveling around the Lansing area a bit more lately, thus spending more money on gas, especially since I own a minivan.

Well, as I started realising these things and decided to cut back as best as I could (go to the Bee's less, try to drive around less if possible, etc.), of course, something goes wrong. For those who haven't already heard, I got into a car accident this past weekend, and the days of the Man Van are finally over. Now I get to bum rides all over the place (including my early-morning job, which I hate asking people to take me to), and I'll probably soon be making car payments on my next car (probably a Taurus, if this week goes as I expect it to...).

Kinda sucks, but I'm learning humility in this. I've noticed a lot of pride growing in me lately, and this is exactly the sort of thing that I need to bring me back to reality. I've also been asking God for patience lately...which is ALWAYS a dangerous prayer, and now it seems I'm waiting around all the time.

This is also a good thing in other ways (at least in my head). I will be saving a lot of money on gas if this goes right, and my "new" car will probably be more reliable than the van. I loved being able to haul around people and all sorts of stuff in my van, which I won't be able to do any longer, but I think I'm ready for the switch. This may also help me whittle down the amount of junk that I have and really force me to keep less stuff around.

I was walking to McDonald's today while talking to one of my good friends on the phone. We both are trying to save money for some end-of-the-summer events (he's probably going to go teach in China with another good friend of ours; I will explain mine in a bit), and we've both realised that we need to make some major lifestyle changes in order to prepare better. I mentioned that I was passing a grocery store, and I should probably get food there instead of at McDonald's. He replied, "Well, which one is going to save you more money in the long run?"

Dangit.

Needless to say, I turned back to the grocery store and bought at least a week's worth of meals...and I definitely made the right choice. I plan on not spending any more money on food for at least a week, and no more on gas for longer (Obviously I don't have a car right now, but if I get another one soon, I will probably try to siphon the gas out of my van's tank, which is full. Start with plenty of gas, getting better gas mileage...I think that's a good start). My paycheck at the end of this week should also come close to doubling what I currently have in my bank account, so I think if I really buckle down and start living more wisely, I will be able to start claiming some of my bills from my mom (who has helped me enormously in all of this) and still be saving money up.

The goal:

Move out West by 2015.

This is a little sooner than the four years I was thinking for the past several months, but I think this is still a reasonable goal...and who knows, maybe God will grant me to move sooner. I would love that.

As far as what I'm saving for this summer, I really want to get back out West for just a little while again. Goodness, I feel such a strong pull to be out there...anyway, one of my friends who lives in Colorado Springs has also been encouraging me to visit and try to get things sorted out, as they took their own leap of faith and moved there last summer, and God has been doing great things with it.

So, I've been researching airplane ticket costs from Detroit to Colorado Springs (which has proven to be the cheapest flight), and I can get a round-trip ticket for $277. Not too bad considering how much I would spend on other forms of travel. If I'm able to save enough this summer, I think I'm really going to try to do this.

It's about time to get a real adventure started.

Peace.

2 comments:

SocksofGranduer said...

Have you thought of biking? Cait and I have a couple extra bikes if you'd like one! We bike most everywhere (including places like the okemos mall) from our house, and given the nature of your job(/old job) and ours, you're probably in better shape lol. Let me know if your interested!

the nomad said...

:) adventure!