Sunday, July 29, 2012

Some camp stuff

So, I just got back from a second week at Bambi Lake camp. This time it was a bunch of 4th-6th graders, and I wasn't actually a group leader: I was just the worship leader. I still got a lot of time to hang out with the kids, though, and it was another sweet group. Lots of games of mafia, silly waiting-in-line camp games...this one reminded me a lot of how camp goes at Center Lake, which is probably why I liked it so much. All of my free time may have also had something to do with it, haha.

For most of the week, I was pretty free every day until about 3:00pm. On a couple of days, I went for walks on the camp trails...and went hiking off-camp. I found an ORV trail and a gravel road, both of which I followed for quite a while on different days. I thought I found bear tracks on the road, but after looking up some animal tracks, I don't think they were...but they were pretty big. Also found a red-bellied snake, one of two species in northern Michigan which don't get very big and are generally really easy to handle (the other is the brown snake). A raven, my favorite bird, was around one of the days, and it looked like a turkey had been following my tracks for a while when I returned.

This turned out to be another week where I got to know some people from the Southern Baptist Convention and Bambi Lake better, which is good. Now I've already been asked to help lead worship for a college-age retreat around New Year. I suppose getting in the convention's good graces is a plus. Even some local church leaders now are apparently watching me a little closer...in a good way, that is.

With some of these things going around in my head, I can't help but also think of a Scripture passage I just read recently:

"How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?" ~Jesus, John chapter 5

Sounds like Jesus is saying you can't really believe if you're seeking honour from men instead of God. If I'm trying to look good and get my name out there, then somewhere along the way I've lost the point of what I'm doing. I won't be worshiping God, and I won't be leading others in worship. Tough thoughts.

Peace.

No comments: