Thursday, March 7, 2013

Spring to summer, fatherless to Fathered

So, this post will have a little more thought put into it than my last couple, which have mostly been blurted ideas or vague descriptions of what I've seen God doing lately. Yay for clarity!

First, let it be known that I'm probably not going to Colorado in May/June, like I was talking about. After some thoughts, prayers, and remembering other things God has said to me since I got back from my original trip out there, I've decided it would be better to wait until God presents the right moment instead of forcing His hand. It would also be really nice to have enough extra money to make sure my van is in top condition for making the journey and staying alive once I'm out there, haha.

Soon after I got back to Michigan, I had plenty of people (including people with no invested interest in keeping me around) telling me, "Wow, it sounds like God is definitely going to get you out there! Now, just don't rush His timing!" He's clearly given me confirmation after confirmation that He is going to bring me there...so why should I try to push the timing along myself? God's timing is perfect, and mine is not, so I will trust Him and see what He has in store. My personality leans really heavily toward running away to adventure...so I have to watch out for that in myself. The summer camp I was looking at seemed really awesome, but it never really seemed like it was an opportunity from God, even though I tried really hard to convince myself of it, haha.

All that being said, I'm still praying for August as the date to leave, but I've also given it to God so I don't idolize that time or freak out at Him if it doesn't happen. Who knows? He may have a much better time planned.

I mentioned previously that God has been teaching me lately how He is my Father. After doing a short study on the instances of God being referred to as Father in Scripture, one thing that stood out in connection with those references was God as Teacher. I never had a dad growing up to teach me how to be a Godly man, so seeing this connection has been really helpful. In Matthew chapter twenty-three, Jesus tells us not to call anyone Rabbi, Father, or Teacher, other than Himself/God, because He alone is truly all of those to us. Whoa. God is the One Who can teach us best. He alone is free from error, always truthful, and always looking out for our best interests. Who is a better choice to teach children how to live and grow than their only true Father? No one. God wants us all to grow up together as images of Him on earth. Jesus, our co-heir in the inheritance of the Father, and in a way our big Brother, came first as the perfect example of how to live in our Father's will and thus bring glory to Him.

God gives good gifts to His children (the best, in fact), and what's better is that He always knows exactly what we need most. Even though it may not seem like what we need (especially if it's more like His discipline), our Father only gives good and perfect gifts, and all of them work for the good of His children and for His glory. Wow, what an awesome family we're a part of!

Our Father wants us to rest in His loving arms as His children, knowing we are safe and secure from everything. He runs out to meet us where we are, throwing His robe around us, placing rings on our fingers, and preparing a feast for us with Him at His table. Wow, does He love us! The Creator of the universe, the Great Physician, mighty God, everlasting Father, Prince of peace, Lord of lords, the great I AM...He wants us to be His children, and He loves us. Whoa. If God wants to be our Father, and is the ultimate, perfect fulfillment of what it means to be a father...I still don't get it, haha, but man, that's crazy.

Peace.

1 comment:

Cameron Robinson said...

Good stuff as usual. Recognizing God as teacher and having that instruction work through me by grace eventually led to full forgiveness of my father not being there in my childhood, something my mom still has yet to understand.