Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Cliche movie line

"People are dying out there!"

This phrase has been used so much in movies and elsewhere to justify certain radical actions. We use it to jump the gun on God's plan. We want to get out of our situations and go do something meaningful.

Have you ever thought that people are dying right here? The man you walk past on the street, the woman next to you on the plane...they might be in need of a life-giving transformation in their lives, and we are so consumed with our high callings that we will do anything to get to them, even if it means blowing past these people without a second thought.

"They're someone else's ministry; that's not what I feel God is calling me to; I'm not really comfortable doing that." Seriously? Do we realy need to justify why we're not doing everything we can for the people around us right now? Even if you can't do more than just give them a smile, or acknowledge their existence, such actions might be enough.

"If I can't tell them about Jesus, then there's no point." WRONG. I love the often-quoted line of St. Francis of Assisi: "Preach the Gospel always. If necessary, use words." If our actions aren't showing the love of Christ, then how will our words make up for it? They won't.

I'm not saying that I have this right. I suck at showing God's love to those around me. I was just thinking about all this stuff, and thought I would write it out.

Peace.

No comments: