Sunday, February 14, 2010

Another week of good and bad

So, this week has been interesting (y'all should keep track of how many times I've use that sentence to start off my blog). I heard from my boss at camp, who said I pretty much have the job I was hoping for, yet thought I had little to no chance of actually getting. I get to co-lead a large handful (and yes, they are quite a handful) of high school volunteers all summer long. As much as I enjoyed counseling for three summers straight, I am very excited to be doing this. I'll be coordinating them with my good friend Kris Locker, who has done this for a few years now and knows the ropes a bit better than I, so I think it will go well.

Myself and other guys from my dorm floor here at Spring Arbor started up something very cool one week ago: a covenant. We made an accountability covenant to help each other grow closer to God and learn to encourage one another better. When one of the guys messes up in something, his covenant-brothers fast and pray for him during one meal. This would be great, except it's not working out quite as well as I had hoped. I have been on the receiving end of two fasts so far, and the encouragement aspect of it (which everyone agreed to in the covenant they signed) has been somewhat lacking. The first time, I received a less-than-encouraging response, which I actually ended up receiving an apology for as well later. The second time (today), one of my friends actually came to me and told me he had been upset about fasting because of me and was still bitter about it. He asked me to pray for him about it, which I sort of did (looking back on it, I could've done better, and I think I will some more now), but I was still put off by what he said.

I have been very discouraged by a few things today, including that incident, and they have made me want to tear up the covenant and say, "Whatever, it's not working." One of my friends told me last night, though, that he thinks the covenant is a great idea, and that he knows the Enemy has been upset by it. I could feel that today, and I still do. Thank God that He has given me strength to not give up. These incidents have shown me that I need to share Christ's love all the more to those around me, as it is so easy to get discouraged.

Romans 15:13

When you see or hear me close out with the word "peace," understand that I want this verse to be my prayer each time. When I say "peace," I want it to mean more than just a hippie-like way of saying "goodbye;" I want you to go with the peace of God.

Peace.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Woot, casey in the core staff room. Could it be a cooler room than that?

Anonymous said...

CASEY! You have to do this! I understand if you don't have a way to post a video of this or whatever, but you could send it to me and i'll post it for you...whatever it takes for you to WIN THIS!

Go here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M527VMKZdxc

It's a karaoke contest on a new Demon Hunter song, and i believe you can with this! The contest ends March 5th. *Tip* Don't worry about how cool the video is, just make sure to get a solid audio recording, i know you know how to do that ;-). Duuuude, this has you written all over it :-D

Anonymous said...

I just found out some interesting news about Ryan Clark. I'm listening to a Solid State podcast and they are playing a song from the band called Focal Point, which went on to form Training For Utopia, which i think you know went on to form Demon Hunter. Well, Ryan Clark was the vocalist for Focal Point, which got signed to Solid State when he was 14! He's the youngest person to ever be signed by Solid State, and his parents had to sign a contract to make it all happen, lol. Just a quick history lesson i thought you'd enjoy. But if you can anything on the net, you should check out Ryan's vocals in Focal Point, its a trip!

Casey Butler said...

Dag, yo.

BTW, I checked out that contest...and now I'm sick, and I can't sing. Awesome.