Sunday, May 22, 2011

Camp prep and home

So, summer camp is coming up soon. The only reason I haven't left already is because I'm waiting for my van to get fixed (it needs a new power train control module, which is normally hundreds of dollars, but our mechanic says he can get a used one for about $60, thank the Lord). Anyway, this summer I'm going to be Core Staff again, this time working as joint worship leader with one of my friends. I've wanted this job at camp for about three years now, so it's pretty refreshing to finally be asked to do it!

It has been nice being home, though. I've been doing a good bit of reading, as I've said in previous posts. Now I'm re-reading "Mudhouse Sabbath" by Lauren Winner. Lauren grew up Orthodox Jewish, and converted to Christianity. After living for a while as a Christian, she began to miss the depth which the traditions of her former faith had. This book is her attempt to help Christians begin practicing spiritual disciplines and put some meaning into the traditions they hold to. This is my second time reading the book, and I love it. Definitely recommend.

Also, I love having dreads. I said in a previous post that I have a purpose for them; I'll explain a little bit. I have four dreads right now. One of them is for reminding myself not to gossip. This one has been pretty hard, surprisingly. I've realized that myself and others gossip all the time; that is, talk about things behind people's backs which they wouldn't want you to say. Having a physical reminder not to do this hanging next to my face has honestly really helped. Like I said, I have three others currently. I may add more sometime soon as I see fit. You can ask me in person if you want to know what they are; they're for me, not for you, though, so I'm not sharing on here.

You should try something similar. It's really helped me look closer at how I live each day.

Peace.

1 comment:

Cameron Robinson said...

:D sweet!
So I totally got these rings that I use as reminders and my gauges are gonna be reminders as well. Have a great summer I'll be praying for ya!