Thursday, October 18, 2012

Good health

So, some of you may remember when I gave up Taco Bell in an effort to try to eat healthier (or maybe even when I stopped eating at Denny's because I got food poisoning there during finals week...). Last weekend my good friend Jacob was visiting Spring Arbor from Tennessee, and all of the old metal-heads got together for one more big "Taco Bell Metal Run." Lots of metal blasting in my van, and a bunch of dudes eating Taco Bell in the back (without any seating, of course). We went to Taco Bell and Denny's, and I ended up eating at both places. I felt it was a necessary evil for the sake of camaraderie.

Later when I explained this a couple times to other friends, I was asked why I decided to ditch Taco Bell at all, and told by several people that they didn't really care about how bad it is. I copped a sort of, "I'm better and healthier than you," attitude at them, which I'm only now realising.

Earlier this week I started listening to sermons by Andrew Wommack, the head of Charis Bible College in Colorado Springs (the college I visited because it's where almost all my new friends in Colorado attend school). I decided to do this because there's nowhere else I know of to get really solid charismatic teachings around here in Lansing without going to a different church...and I don't feel like dealing with even more church drama than I already have. Right now I'm in the middle of one titled "The Importance of the Word." As one of his points, Andrew brings up the fact that many Americans now worship good health and tout dieting and exercise as the way to acquire it. He then points out that Scripture states plenty of other ways that our bodies are kept healthy.

Some examples he used:

"A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." Prov. 17:22

"Honour your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the LORD your God is giving you." Ex. 20:12

Plus plenty of verses (especially in Psalms and Proverbs) about how the fear of the Lord, wisdom, and obeying the Lord bring long life and health. I've actually been running more since getting back from Colorado, and when I heard Andrew Wommack make his points on this topic, I realised that I was filling myself with pride over not eating at certain places and exercising more. He did say (and I agree with him) that diet and exercise are definitely part of good health...but if you look at people who honor their parents and have cheerful hearts (even among those who don't really exercise and don't eat well), they're the ones generally living longer.

I realise now that my focus lately has not been only on becoming healthier, because I still haven't been eating well. My focus with exercise has become about looking good. The verses about good health and long life in the Bible are not placed there in order for use to find some solution for better health...they point to health as an aftereffect of following God. This should be our primary focus. Becoming healthy to glorify God is great, but I think Jesus' words in Matthew chapter six are useful here:

"Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."

If we are seeking God with our whole heart, good health is something we don't need to worry about at all. God knows what we need and will take care of it for us. All we need to worry about is loving and obeying Him.

I like that.

Peace.

2 comments:

Dave Clement said...

I like that too. Wow. Thanks for that Truth. Good post.

Cameron Robinson said...

Oh, how often I think verses like that are figurative. Thanks for the refresher.