Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A thought on guidance

So, I was reading in Psalm 25 recently, and found these verses: "Who is the man that fears the LORD? Him will he instruct in the way that he should choose. His soul shall abide in well-being, and his offspring shall inherit the land. The friendship of the LORD is for those who fear him, and he makes known to them his covenant." (25:12-14, ESV)

Maybe you've never had this problem, but I remember lots of times when I've wanted God's guidance in some matter, prayed for Him to show me the way, and sat around wishing He would just show me a little of His will...all while my relationship with Him was failing in all other areas. Oftentimes, these prayers for guidance in some situation were the first times in quite a while when I had bothered to talk to Him earnestly about something at all. This morning I read Psalm 37:4-5: "Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act." I realized how foolish I was to think God would've acted in these situations when I wasn't committing myself to Him each day; I was just coming to Him in my time of need, expecting Him to help me after ignoring Him in all other situations. Seems kinda silly, doesn't it?

Peace.

2 comments:

Cameron Robinson said...

It does.
And this awesome.
I needed this.
You are beloved brother.
Grace and peace.

Anonymous said...

I love it... thanks for writing....

ernie