Saturday, August 21, 2010

Thoughts on words

So, going on the assumption that someone still reads this after my last post, I have some things to talk about tonight. First off, thanks to anyone who read my last post and prayed for me...really appreciated that. I've been in the midst of some massive spiritual warfare the past few weeks. As you could see from two posts ago, God has been teaching me a lot of stuff, but (as illustrated by my most previous post) Satan's really trying to mess it up. Maybe I've lost some standing with whoever happened to read it, but I don't care. I'm not going to pretend like everything's always perfect with me. At least through all this crap, God's really been letting me see the warfare going on around me.

Next on the agenda, I was reading Psalm 52 tonight, and along with some other thoughts from the day, it really got me thinking.

"Why do you boast of evil, O mighty man? The steadfast love of God endures all the day. Your tongue plots destruction, like a sharp razor, you worker of deceit. You love evil more than good, and lying more than speaking what is right. Selah.

You love all words that devour, O deceitful tongue. But God will break you down forever, he will snatch and tear you from your tent; he will uproot you from the land of the living. Selah."

That's almost entirely about just words; the way we talk to others. I was already thinking about this topic earlier today; interesting how God's been bringing it to my attention so much. It's funny to see how we cut down others constantly with our words, but pretend it's ok, because we're just joking. We want to sound witty and make people laugh. That's a good thing, right? Who doesn't want to be popular? I'm guilty of that. Then there's other times when I see my friends just being unnecessarily critical of other friends. Of course, it's ok to talk like that to people you're friends with and have known for a long time. It's ok to point out their flaws and how they've inconvenienced you by some action they've made, even if it wasn't entirely or at all their fault, since you'll still be friends even after you say it. Besides, you're just helping them to become a better person, right? Maybe you're just trying to train them to look out for you. I'm guilty of that. People who call themselves Christians or Christ-followers or Jesus freaks can be serious jerks when they see someone else not being perfect (i.e., being a human, just like them). I'm guilty of that. Personally, I'm really quick to criticise my mom. I had to apologize to her just today because of my attitude. I'm not saying all this to just point at everyone else; I'm included. God has really been convicting me in this area today.

Jesus, draw us near to you. Show us true love. I want to look foolish to the world. I want to love like I'm not afraid.

God's also been really showing me how I need to show His love to my family. I would realy appreciate it if you would pray for God to work in my family and that he would keep me from getting in His way. Pray the same for yourselves, while you're at it; no family is perfect.

Peace.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to see you soon!!!

--ernie

Casey Butler said...

Well, I'm at Spring Arbor almost all week, and I'm moving back in next week.

Unknown said...

Hey man, I'm joining you in prayer on this one.
Great to hang out with you again.