Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Vision

So, every once in a while, I get this recurring vision. It's not some great vision of God's majesty and splendour; it's more of an idea which keeps coming to me. I often think of all the things I could do with my life which would bring God glory and make plans of how I could do them, but for some reason this one keeps coming back, and often more detailed each time. I want to someday have a home characterized by generosity and peace, where anyone can come and go as they please. They would get fed and shown love, and would even have a place to stay for some time if necessary. It could be a place of recovery and of job-searching. I don't know if this includes me having a family or not, but this idea keeps coming back to me.

Along with this, I think God wants to cultivate generosity and peace in me for it to happen. Ironic, as those are two of the fruits I often struggle with the most, even if it's not obvious. I can give away things which don't matter to me, but when it comes to more "important" things, like my CDs, my iPod, my stereo, and even my time. I'm very selfish. I'm also often easily upset and angered by certain things. Basically, I'm the opposite of generosity and peace most of the time, haha! I'm always thinking about Luke 14 and 18, where Jesus speaks about the cost of following Him, and selling one's possessions. I am rich by the world's standards in general, so why do I feel like I need more stuff so often? God has been slowly convicting me more and more of these things (the chapel speaker today even brought up the story of the rich young ruler), and I'm getting tired of hearing Him tell me things and not obeying Him. I was going to talk a lot more about Jesus' words here, but that's a rant for another day, haha.

These are my thoughts today. I'd appreciate your prayers for generosity and peace.

No comments: