Friday, September 30, 2011

The goodbye note

So, this is a note I wrote on FB. I wanted to keep the text around so I can look back on it someday, and for any others who may be interested.

"So, FB friends, I haven't written a note in a while. I'm here to talk about an issue we're all aware of right now, but not in an angry way or to complain (disclaimer). I just want to share my views on it, and maybe make you think.

As we've seen, FB is changing big-time. Some people may still not have seen the biggest changes which are on the way: FB Timeline. The whole Profile system is going to be completely re-vamped soon, with a much heavier focus on pictures. The point is so people can tell their whole life story, from birth to our current state, via pictures. By doing this, FB is making a brilliant move. They're following the current cultural trend, namely, a return to an emphasis on narrative, or story-telling. The general populace will love this, even if most don't initially.

I'm using this as a prime opportunity to leave FB for good. I've mentioned it already to a few people, some accepting it, and some acting appalled, haha. I plan on making a complete switch to Google+, which is Google's social network. I've had to answer a lot of questions so far, so I'll try to reiterate them and my answers below.

"Why?"
- I'm tired of FB, to be honest. People make too much hype about status updates, spend too much time on it, and treat FB friendships like real, in-person relationships (I'm saying they're NOT, if you didn't catch that). The fact of me writing this note at all means we all take it way too seriously. I don't like the dependance people place on FB. We make it out like it's this huge thing to not log on for a few days or a week or a month. Think about it, really: a "FB fast?" Big deal. We put far too much stock in our digital life.

Think about this: the reason we have friendships is because we're made with a desire for love, affection, and camaraderie. My issue is I feel like we're seeking this online now, where those needs can never be fully met. FB gives an illusion of them, which is why we love it. Are we afraid of real relationships, relationships where we hurt and get hurt, relationships where we are vulnerable, relationships where we find others are vulnerable, too? I would rather depend less on digital relationships and work harder on real ones.

"Aren't you just switching to a different kind of FB, though?"
- G+ is significantly less addicting; I've found this to be true. FB also owns all the information you give it and stores it indefinitely; Google gives you the option of deleting all your information from their system if you want to officially close your account. Also, too many people really are overly-attached to FB; I want to stand against this and live without it.

"Why force yourself out of the loop? Won't you miss out on a lot now?"
- People, seriously. Life is not about entertaining yourself and knowing everything. You may think, "Duh!" at this statement, but it's more true than most of us understand. The American mindset is hopelessly distorted with the need for entertainment and the need to be smarter than everyone else. Some people think they're above this...I'll let them think they are; I know I'm not. Facebook is also addicting because it entertains us and makes us feel smarter than we are. It gives us so many options for interacting with others and expressing ourselves, and it gives us a wealth of knowledge about others and what's going on in the world.

Here's a thought: our need to know freaking everything will never be satisfied, and digital communications make this "need" even worse. Most people I know who don't have a FB account have been made fun of or looked down on because they don't have one. The idea is they don't know as much as you do and aren't as socially connected as you are, and it's their choice to live in a cave. Really?

"Won't it be hard to stay in contact with people if you don't have a FB?"
- Meaningful relationships are made stronger when you work hard at making them better, and FB makes relationships cheap. I don't mean to offend anyone (or maybe I do...), but my generation and the upcoming one are digital whores. We want everything to be easy for us, and dealing with people online is much easier than dealing with people in person. Keeping in touch with people online is much easier than calling someone (oh goodness) or, God forbid, writing a letter and sending it to someone in the mail. This, among plenty of other factors I won't discuss, is making us really selfish in our relationships, which causes a whole host of other problems in our lives.

I could probably say more, to be honest, but this will suffice in stating my views. I will be leaving here around the time when the new Profile system gets put into effect. If you want to stay in contact, my information is listed below. If you don't feel like putting in the effort to stay in contact over something else besides FB, then you probably shouldn't complain about me leaving. I will legitimately try to stay in contact if you try, too."

I also included my contact information on the original note. If you want a way to contact me, ask me and I'll give it to you; I'm not just posting it all on here, though.

Peace.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very good read. Thanks for the edifying thoughts.

Also, on another note. The title of your blog "I do not Belong." I couldn't help but think how easily a Christian blog could also be titled "I belong." It made me smile.