Friday, September 9, 2011

Know No Fear?

So, the theme at my camp this summer was "Know No Fear." I've been learning a lot about what this means in my life, especially lately.

I have a hard time with trust. I've lost a lot of faith in people in general, and would have to consider myself a pessimistic realist most of the time. Since I have trust issues like this, it's also hard for me to trust God. It's hard for me to put things I'm deeply concerned about in His hands, because part of me is afraid I'll be let down like I usually am. I know this is something a lot of people deal with, but it's also something I've just been realizing about myself.

I'm really afraid of a lot of interactions with people in general because of this fear. Interacting with people online is easier for me. I think this is a trend of my generation, though. We're becoming more dependent on technology for communication, and it's taking away from our social skills...and fast. The generations younger than us are going even faster.

I hate being part of trends like that. I could justify it by saying something like, "Well, in order to stay culturally relevant to today's youth...." I'm not out to be relevant. I want to have real relationships with people without encouraging bad communication habits.

I'm having the "Facebook ditching" conversation with people right now. It's interesting to see how scared people get of their friends leaving it. We think it's so hard to communicate without it that we fear we'll lose friendships without it. Well, what if we do? We can't be friends with everyone on earth, even though Facebook would tell us otherwise. It seems like we're all just really insecure and afraid of having fewer friends. I wonder why that is.

It's ironic: we seem to be afraid of going out of our way and having real, meaningful interactions...but we also seem to be afraid of having fewer friends. I think that's a little counterproductive.

Anyway, I went a different direction than I was planning when I started writing. Funny how that works. It's late and I'm losing focus. I think I'll stop before I start writing really silly things.

"You say tomato; I say video games!" ~FIF

Peace.

No comments: