Tuesday, December 20, 2011

New house

So, I am finally finished at SAU. This has been an excellent few days so far. Once again, my van is in the shop (this time for minor repairs), but I've been keeping myself busy. I only have one piece of furniture left to bring to my new room in Lansing, and I've been working on getting my bookshelves organised and cleaning up the mess I brought back from my apartment in SAU. Today was a massive cleaning day in that regard. There's still work to be done, but I'm just happy I'm finally here. My new living situation feels so much better than living on campus. Here's why:

1. One of my roommates is excessively anal about keeping the place clean. My habits and personality are somewhat fluid, so I've been able to keep my room cleaner than usual and help keep the rest of the house clean.

2. This is a fairly permanent situation. It's the first time since I started college that all of my clothes, books, electronics, furniture, and other things I need/want are all in the same place, and aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

3. Now I live closer to everything I do. I live close to the church I lead worship at (I live with one of my pastors, in fact), I live close to (but not with) my family, I live close to all my friends in Lansing, I live close to food (which is nice), I live close to a lot of job opportunities (which I'm trying to take advantage of), and I live closer to my friends in Grand Rapids and Troy.

4. The house is generally pretty quiet. I can get all kinds of work done throughout the day and be relatively undisturbed the entire time. Our friends generally visit in small herds at night, so even on more social days, most of the day is quiet. I've been able to read, practice my guitar, and spend time with God more now that I'm here.

In short, this is probably my favorite place I've lived so far. I love it, and I'm blessed to be here.

Peace.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When are you going to take that sweet Van to the desert of Eastern Oregon?

Casey Butler said...

Ha! Probably not for a few years...I know I need to be in Lansing for a while. Hopefully the Man Van will last that long!

Unknown said...

It's a sweet place, I'm glad you're liking it. I hope to make trips more often to Lansing. It seems so far away, but it's really not. Peace