Friday, January 20, 2012

Oh, my life...

So, I've had a lot of "changes of plans" since my trip out West this summer. Today was another one. I'm currently taking an online algebra class, and was scheduled to start a chemistry class next week. My goal was to get a degree in environmental biology/zoology at MSU within the next few years, and work part-time jobs on the side.

Notice the abundance of the word "was" throughout that statement.

I've been doing some thinking about all this the past few days, and I've realised several of my long-term goals aren't very compatible with each other. For example, if I want to move out West, getting a degree and doing part-time jobs here might actually hinder me. I'll still be in a pretty weak place financially and I won't have much job experience if I'm just doing part-time jobs. In other words, by the time I finish the degree and want to move out West, I won't actually be able to. My current job search is going really poorly right now because I've been saying "no" to a lot of good full-time work.

One of my current goals career-wise is becoming a conservation officer with the DNR within the year. However, this would be a full-time job, and if I'm taking classes all year round, why should I even continue the process of trying to get into that sort of work?

A good conversation with my mom helped me focus these thoughts into a more exact plan: dropping the upcoming chemistry class, start hardcore looking for work with an even broader scope, and finish my online class. I'm confident I'll be able to have SOME kind of work in with the DNR by the summer, even if it's just seasonal...the issue is getting a job between now and then.

Prayers for all of this would be greatly appreciated.

Peace.

1 comment:

the nomad said...

here's an idea: if, for some reason, you don't find some kind of solid job by the summer, come to Colorado in July! you can go to this conference the ministry behind my school puts on. it'd be an excuse for you to visit and a great time to focus, seriously. I'm not just trying to be a cheesy Christian commercial, I really think it's beneficial. ;) -Dena