Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Reminders

So, this morning I woke up with some weird, painful scrapes on two of my right-hand fingers. I don't remember getting them at all, but I guess I probably scraped my fingers between spaces in my bunk. I was thinking about it, and I thought, "Man, it would be crazy if I had woken up with scars on my wrists. That would be a good reminder of how I've been crucified with Christ. It would make remembering a lot easier." Seriously? Do we need this kind of crap to remind us of what should be the most important part of our lives...not even just the most important part of our lives, but our very lives??? Sometimes I imagine using tattoos in the same way, as reminders for myself. Is this really necessary, though? I reminded myself a lot of the Pharisees in Mark 8:11-12. They came to Jesus seeking a sign...not a sign in the same way I am referring, but let's roll with this anyway for now. Jesus told them their generation would not be given a sign, and then He left. After all I have seen God do in my life and in others', how can I still be in the shoes of the Pharisees, looking for signs and things to strengthen my faith with, when I have already seen enough signs, and when I should be letting Christ strengthen me instead of looking for material things to help.

"Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name." - John 20:30-31

Peace.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing... it is awesome to have amazing friends...

The Mad Piano Man said...

Word.

Cameron Robinson said...

Happens to me all the time. One time I woke up with metal in face....it's still there...
sweet. Oh yeah we definitely need reminders...kind of like our own version of circumcision...not the best example but yeah...that's why we read the bible, memorize scripture, etc.

Agreed with Piano man, Word.

Casey Butler said...

I think reminders are fine and stuff, and I definitely need them a lot, but my point is that (ideally) we should be so tight with God that we shouldn't need stuff to remind us of what we should be living for...He should BE our lives. That was my thought process this morning.

Anonymous said...

Before i even read your post, i have to leave you a link to Demon Hunter's newest song "Collapse." AH!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUc2VSEKg3U