Saturday, November 22, 2008

Hi again!

Heh, it's been almost two weeks since I last posted.

Things have been going pretty well since my last post. I've been working this week in particular on making more time for schoolwork and Bible study, and it's been working! I'm really glad that our school play is finally over so that I have more time at night to do stuff, as well.

Thanksgiving is coming up soon, so I think I'll take a little time to inform you of why my Thanksgiving is going to be very out of the ordinary for myself this year. At the beginning of this past summer, one of my friends from church and her mom came up to me after church one Sunday and asked me if I remembered this one girl that I was friends with on Facebook named Kamie. I had added her because apparently she had visited the church a couple times with my friend. I was actually planning on maybe deleting her soon because I really didn't remember her at all...but they told me that she was actually my cousin! This is where things got intense. My real parents divorced when I was a toddler, and I stayed with my mom. Apparently, Kamie was my cousin on my DAD's side of the family. Our family basically separated from theirs for the rest of my life, and I had never known any of them except for who I could remember from when I was a toddler. I started talking with Kamie online, and soon discovered that I had nearly 30 other cousins living within about a 2-hour radius of my own home...that I never even knew EXISTED! THAT was intense. Kamie got me more up to speed on things on the other side of my family, and I talked about things on "my" side of the family.

At the very end of the summer, my friend Nicki, the one that first told me about Kamie, told me about a surprise party for a couple's 50th wedding anniversary from our church, who I am apparently legally related to, and that it was going to be at Kamie's house. I ended up going, without having told my mom about ANYTHING that I had learned of my newfound family OR where I was going specifically. I hung out with Kamie and her family for a good while, and talked with them about seeing them again. They even invited me to their Thanksgiving dinner this year, which is what this post is about. I went home, and eventually told my mom later that week about all that had transpired. She told me about everything that had happened between our families back in the day, and that she was happy that I had connected with Kamie's family specifically. If you're curious about all that stuff, I don't have any problems with telling you, but I don't feel like telling the whole world about it on here.

So, with all that background information, I will hopefully be having TWO Thanksgiving dinners this year. I will probably be going to Kamie's family dinner first, since they are starting earlier in the day, and then coming to my "regular" family's dinner right afterward. I don't know how many people in my family know about this other than my mom, so it will be interesting...if you could maybe ask God to soften my family's hearts about this, that would be great!

I'll hopefully get some motivation to post again this weekend to give you all something to read in your spare time, haha.

The Michigan/Ohio State game is today. I went and watched a little bit of it at the beginning because I was excited from everyone else's excitement, and then I remembered why I don't really watch sports and left. Boring.

I think I'm going to go hang out with my Uncle Wookiee today. Talk at you later!

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

wow! Your life sounds like one of those exciting stories where the kid finds out they have a long-lost cousin, except you had 29 more too! What you said about the game, I think I might like watching sports every season...but the time-wasting pointlessness never changes... and you really have an uncle Wookie? how cool...