Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Woods

So, I decided (pretty last-minute) yesterday night that I was going to sleep in the woods at Spring Arbor. I grabbed my tent, sleeping bag, Bible, and some food and water, stuffed them into my backpacking pack, and found a good spot at around 2100 (9pm). I came back on campus once the tent was set up, and after hanging out with a couple friends, I went back and went to sleep.

Getting a tent set up in the woods in the dark by yourself is an interesting endeavour, to be sure. I was kind of freaked out for a while. It was very quiet where I was, so every little bug crawling on the forest floor sounded like a rabid raccoon coming for my ankles. At least that's what my brain kept going to. Really, though: all the little noises are amplified by about five times when they're the only noises you can hear. It's great.

While I was walking around in the dark, I couldn't help but think about God. Interesting how easy it was for me to turn my mind to Him when I was far away from all the fun things I like to do each day. So few distractions out in the woods.

Sleeping in itself was also an interesting experience. It actually felt pretty good to be sleeping on the ground, even with the sticks and stones underneath me. I just used my shirt as a cushion for my side, and by jacket for a pillow, and I slept great. When I woke up at about 630 the next morning, I honestly felt refreshed. I woke up to birds singing sweetly and the sun gently shining into my tent. It. Was. Fantastic. I did go back to sleep for another hour just because I was up late that night, but I was very ok with being up that early for once.

Part of the reason I felt so refreshed was just that waking up in the woods is something completely different. We're so used to waking up in our little boxes; our world starts when our alarms go off. We get up, get dressed, and go to work. When you wake up in the woods, the first thing you realize is that the world is already busy around you, and yet it's taking it's sweet time. You realize that you're part of something bigger. You realize that the world doesn't revolve around you and your silly plans. It's a humbling experience.

I'm planning on camping out at least one more time this semester, hopefully bringing a couple guys with me just so I can have some camaraderie. Next semester, I think it would be nice to camp out most weekends, if I get the chance. Just thought I would share some thoughts from this time around.

Peace.

3 comments:

Dave Clement said...

I'm glad you stuck it out and didn't get spooked like I thought the blog may have been leading to.

David said...

Dude, we have GOT to have some sort of campout in those woods before school is out. You, me, Taylor, Larry, PIlgrim, Adam, and whoever else wants to come. i think it'd be a blast. Camping in the woods. Alright. :D

Casey Butler said...

I agree, Skinnybarber. It was a good ol' time.