Thursday, August 25, 2011

A side thought while traveling

So, I need to post this along with my daily travel blog. It's been really interesting traveling with my mom over the past week. The past four years have each looked like this: about seven months at SAU, about two months at camp, about two months at home, and a month of random travels. The two months at home each year aren't even all at the same time; they're broken up into a few weeks at a time throughout the year.

All this to say, I haven't spent much time around my mom since I graduated high school. The first few days of the trip were especially hard because of this; we haven't traveled together for a long time, and we were getting on each other's nerves quite a bit. We talked about it a bit, and have been trying to do better at dealing with the differences between us which we haven't had to deal with for the past four years.

In the end, though, it really comes down to an issue which God has been revealing to me a lot this summer: my own pride and self-righteousness. I got rebuked by a Godly man this summer because of my own self-righteousness, and it hurt to see how much I have. It's become more and more apparent as the summer goes on, and I think it's the main cause of a lot of the tensions between my mom and myself.

Things like this is where following Christ gets hard. It's not a physical hardship...but it might be harder than one. It's so difficult to lay down your rights to stick up for yourself and/or your opinions. I want to prove myself right so much that it gets in the way of having right relationships with my friends and family...which gets in the way of my relationship with God.

I would probably keep going, but I'm tired, and my thoughts are muddled.

Friends, pray that God continues to humble me and reveal more of this to me. Thank you.

Peace.

2 comments:

Cameron Robinson said...

Praying for ya

Wizsol said...

I appreciate your thoughts about seeking to discover how Christ reveals himself through you. It just reminds me of the reasons that I love you: your choice to think and wait, your choice to always connect where you can, your choice to be real, your choice to be uncomplicated, your choice to be open to Christ, and the list extends for the many, many seasons I have seen you come. All I can tell you is a lesson from Orthodox Theology: we are the image of Christ. If the image is broken, tainted, or faded, then there is no much to draw people to a meditation of Christ. The bright, reflective icons are the ones that guide people to a contemplative, transcendent place.