Saturday, August 27, 2011

Westward 2011, Day 9

So, I don't have any pictures today. Sorry in advance. However, today was sweet, and I wish my camera was good enough to take pictures of what we saw.

The day started at 4:30am when my mom's alarm went off in the motel room. Ick. We got picked up for a sunrise wildlife tour at about 5:50am. Within the first two hours we saw six moose. Six. That is a lot of moosen. Two cows each with a calf, one other cow, and a big ol' bull. One of the cows with a calf was actually walking along a river grazing with her calf roughly fifty yards away from us. It was awesome. Various sections of that river were where we saw all six of the moose, actually, and not very far away from each other.

Moose are freaking huge. The bull was about six feet at the shoulder, to give you an idea. Dark brown fur, long legs, and a goofy, but friendly, face. Our guide was telling us (and we witnessed this to be true) for such a large animal, they could somehow simply disappear into the foliage and be completely lost from sight in a matter of seconds. I commented, "It's probably because they're one with the shadows."

EVERYTHING FINALLY MAKES SENSE.

Anyway, along the same river we saw a long-tailed weasel as well. He ran up the river bank, stopped at the edge, and gave us this look like:

O.O
OMG PEOPLE

Then he ran away. lol. Later on the trip we saw more bison and pronghorn, along with a Swainson's Hawk with intermediate plumage. Sorry...the excessive bird info will not stop.

To be honest, the trip would've been pretty lame had the guide not had a really charismatic personality and been very intelligent. She was extremely knowledgeable regarding almost every animal we saw (minus the small birds) and actually provided us with a good historical look at Jackson Hole as well. We also got on the topic of how she was affiliated with the Teton Science School, which provides the tours, and got a glimpse of her life story, which was nothing short of epic. Trapping animals for research in Yellowstone National Park...working for federal and state agencies in ecology jobs...living in the woods for extended periods of time...driving around to new places and new job opportunities when one would expire.

Let's just say...I'm glad I haven't officially set myself on geology this spring just yet. Both geology and ecology are areas which God has given me a huge passion for. I'm going to be praying about which direction God wants me to take at this point...but I know He's given me these passions for a reason, and I also know that "all things work together for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose." Personally, I currently think I am more prepared to go into an ecology-type field. I have a strong desire to see us use our natural resources more wisely and become better stewards of Creation. Maybe I should go save the whales. I don't know.

I would appreciate your prayers about this issue. If you read my "Schooling and Goals" post before you read this one, you can probably already tell I need the prayers, ha. Prayer is a good thing. I'd appreciate them in general. There's a lot going on with my family, too. Thank you.

Peace.

2 comments:

David Shinabarger said...

Dude. You soooooo need to do a bicycle trip. We had hawks, eagles, vultures, swans, blackbirds, elk and cattle run with us as we biked down roads. So unreal. You would totally LOVE it. Oh yeah. By the way. I met up with one of my friends from home yesterday and apparently he's going to this school in Seattle- it sounded like something you'd be interested in.

http://www.ithaca.edu/hshp/depts/rls/programs/outdoor/

J.B. Gardner said...

Ditto about the bicycle thing. Best way to see a city, and the countryside isn't so bad either. It just takes a lot of patience. a LOT of patience. Sounds like you had a wicked trip though!